Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Rendlesham Revealed: New evidence in UFO mystery (Read 4864 times)
DrDil
YaBB Administrator

Fighting Against
Truth Decay!!

Rendlesham Revealed: New evidence in UFO mystery
Nov 12th, 2010, 6:52pm

By Mark Murphy (BBC Suffolk Breakfast Show presenter)

It's hoped one of the greatest Suffolk mysteries of all time is about to be solved once and for all, with new evidence to be revealed on BBC Radio Suffolk. In December 1980 something strange happened in the forest close to the giant twin US airbases of Bentwaters and Woodbridge.  

Was it a UFO crash landing or was it simply the light from Orford Ness lighthouse?  

Whatever it was it's caused years of debate, speculation, gossip and rumour.  

Now after 30 years, I'm hoping to reveal what happened in Rendlesham Forest and have joined up with the East Anglian Daily Times to finally uncover the events of December 1980. On the evening of Friday, 17 December I'll be presenting a special programme on BBC Radio Suffolk from the Bentwaters Cold War Museum. I'll be revealing new evidence that I believe will finally reveal the truth and put the conspiracy theories to bed for good.  

Background

So what did happen? Let's go back 30 years and get an overview based on various accounts.

•      Security at two American Air bases - RAF Woodbridge and RAF Bentwaters, which held one of NATO's largest nuclear stockpiles, is as tight as usual.  
•      Radar screens sweep and blip. On the evening of 26 December, 1980 at 3am there is a report of a possible air crash near the perimeter fence at RAF Woodbridge.  
•      Three security officers go to investigate. They radio back mentioning a strange glowing object in the forest - metallic in appearance and triangular in shape (two metres by three metres across the base and two metres high).  
•      What is considered unusual is the information which is logged at Woodbridge police station. In the incident book there is a log of a sighting of strange lights in the sky. Someone reports a bright fireball.  
•      Rendlesham Forest, which lies between the two bases, is illuminated by a white light.  
•      D Flight of security police responds to a 'falling star' report outside the weapons storage area.  
•      Lt Col Charles Halt, the deputy commanding officer of RAF Woodbridge was then called. They see an object with pulsing red lights on top and a bank of blue lights underneath, hovering or on legs. As the patrolmen approach, it manoeuvres through the trees and disappears.  
•      Later that night, an intense red light moves and pulses through the trees and breaks into five separate white objects and disappears.  
•      Three star-like objects are then seen in the sky, moving rapidly in sharp, angular motions and displaying red, green and blue lights.

One patrolman later described how the air seemed charged with electricity, how his hair stood on end and that they seemed to be walking in slow motion. He said he examined the craft which was covered with strange symbols, and touched the smooth, black, glass-type fabric. It then slowly moved back, weaving in and around the trees, to about 40 feet away, then rose up into the air and shot off as fast as you could blink. It appeared to be under some sort of intelligent control.  

The next day, three depressions could be seen on the ground where the object appeared, and when the area was checked for radiation, beta/gamma readings peaked at the spot where it landed. Two nights later, again at around 3am, the duty flight commander for the security police unit rushed in to a belated Christmas party white as a sheet. "The UFO is back", he said.  

Lt Col Charles Halt changed into his battle fatigues and goes back into Rendlesham Forest. From a nearby farm they could see, maybe 20 degrees off the horizon, three white objects - elliptical, like a quarter moon - with blue, green, and red lights on them, making sharp, angular movements. A red sun-like light moved and pulsed through the trees.  

One military witness later said:  

"Here I am, a senior official that routinely denies this sort of thing and diligently works to debunk them and I'm involved in the middle of something I can't explain."

One of the patrolmen has since claimed that the whole episode was documented on video and stills but these have never come to light. Halt was to claim later that two rolls of film he took never came out. The Ministry of Defence's (MOD) official response has been dismissive but Nick Pope, who for three years was in charge of the MOD's UFO investigations has gone on record to say: "You had a number of US Air Force personnel at a very important base in Suffolk having seen a structured craft moving through Rendlesham Forest.  

"It almost appeared to be leading them on a merry chase through the woods.....My conclusions: Type of craft: unknown. Origin: unknown. Purpose of craft: unknown I guess."

Cover up?

There is uncertainty as to whether this is proof of an actual alien encounter and an official cover up. Sceptics say that the eyewitness accounts differ widely and contradict each other - and some tales have grown in the telling since 1980. In his memo to the MOD, Lt Col Halt even seems to have got the date of the first sightings wrong.  

The story has since been thoroughly re-examined and some plausible explanations have emerged:  

•      Close by is a lighthouse which strobes brightly into the forest at low level;  
•      There was a brilliant meteor over southern England at the exact same time;  
•      The upper stage rocket of a Soviet satellite, Cosmos 749, had broken up on re-entry;  
•      One star was reported as being exceptionally bright between Christmas and New Year;  
•      Could the mysterious object have been one of the earliest trials of the Stealth bomber?  
•      Could it have been a US spy satellite dropped on Suffolk by mistake?  
•      On the ground, the "triangular" marks left at the landing site could simply be rabbit diggings and as for the radiation spikes, the readings taken were so low, they are insignificant.  

So what do you think happened? Were you there at the time?  
Did you see or hear anything strange?  

Get in contact, and tune in on Friday, 17 December for the new evidence which I'm confident will change people's opinions of what happened.  

Your memories

In the meantime I want to hear your memories of the event, and your thoughts on what really happened.  

Thirty years later, do you now feel confident about coming forward?  

E-mail:
mark.murphy@bbc.co.uk

http://news.bbc.co.uk/local/suffolk/hi/people_and_places/history/newsid_9140000/ 9140524.stm

« Last Edit: Nov 12th, 2010, 11:02pm by DrDil »  
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
HALava

Re: Rendlesham Revealed: New evidence in UFO myste
Reply #1 - Nov 17th, 2010, 8:20pm

One thing that never seems to be taken into consideration when people come up with falling rocket parts, meteors etc is the duration. This event went on for far longer than the few seconds (and that is being generous) that these transient events last for.  That fact alone should rule out many astronomical explanations.

HAL

View Profile   IP Logged
DrDil
YaBB Administrator

Fighting Against
Truth Decay!!

Reply #2 - Nov 17th, 2010, 9:03pm

Quote from HALava on Nov 17th, 2010, 8:20pm:
One thing that never seems to be taken into consideration when people come up with falling rocket parts, meteors etc is the duration. This event went on for far longer than the few seconds (and that is being generous) that these transient events last for.  That fact alone should rule out many astronomical explanations.

HAL

Hi Hal,

You are aware that several of the lights witnessed were later thought to be celestial bodies (e.g. stars) due to the respective locations and more importantly the duration that they were visible for?

Out of interest what do you think occurred at Rendlesham?

Cheers.

HALava

Reply #3 - Nov 17th, 2010, 9:19pm

DrDil.

Indeed I am.  But this same duration would seem to rule out all the transients and leave us with the usual suspects i.e lighthouse,  planets.  And I don't think these would have fooled the airmen.

I really have no idea what happened there.  Or rather the explanation for the reported happenings.  But things don't seem to add up.  If it had been a case of Halt and a few military personnel  reporting this then I would have maybe gone along with some military cover-up of an accident.  But there were too many other people involved.

Brenda (whats her name) and Dot seem to have thought it to be real though.

Ah yes.  Just remembered.  Brenda Butler and Dot Street.

HAL

« Last Edit: Nov 17th, 2010, 9:22pm by HALava »  
View Profile   IP Logged
DrDil
YaBB Administrator

Fighting Against
Truth Decay!!

Reply #4 - Nov 17th, 2010, 10:52pm

On a related note, Ian Ridpath just posted this elsewhere:

Pardon me for joining this conversation partway though (always a dangerous move). It seems to me the important thing is not when Halt changed his story, but how much his current story conflicts with what he said at the time, and how it continues to diverge.

On the tape he recorded during his night in the forest, Halt talked about an object over Woodbridge base beaming down lights from time to time. His description of the light sounds like a twinkling star, and his description of its position and movement allows us to identify this star as Sirius, the brightest star in the night sky. So much so straightforward.

The tale now is that the beams came down not over Woodbridge but over Bentwaters, to the north. The significance of this change is that there were no nukes at Woodbridge but there were (we are led to believe) at Bentwaters. I have pointed out this obvious change of story to Halt himself and to his acolytes such as Gary “trust me I’m a cop” Heseltine, but to no avail. Halt carries on with the changed story and the believers see no contradiction.

On his tape Halt did describe two objects to the north but they were not the ones sending down beams.

Halt has, alas, embedded this and other errors in the affidavit he wrote and signed earlier this year, apparently at the behest of Hastings. I have drawn attention to the various weaknesses in this document, which render it worthless as evidence and demonstrate Halt now to be an unreliable witness:

http://www.ianridpath.com/ufo/Halt_affidavit.htm  

UFOlogists frequently claim that certain cases would stand up in a court of law, but they appear to be woefully unfamiliar with the rules of evidence.

Ian

HALava

Reply #5 - Nov 18th, 2010, 11:18pm

Ah Yes,  Ian Ridpath.  Never known to be short of a natural explanation.

....His description of the light sounds like a twinkling star, and his description of its position and movement allows us to identify this star as Sirius...

Sirius,  and the rest of the stars move across the sky at 15 degrees per hour.  I'm not sure how this fits in with Halt's observations.  But I suspect that people who spend lots of time outdoors at night would have known about Sirius.

HAL

View Profile   IP Logged
DrDil
YaBB Administrator

Fighting Against
Truth Decay!!

Rendlesham Revealed - Investigator Brenda Butler
Reply #6 - Dec 19th, 2010, 9:23pm

Quote from DrDil on Nov 12th, 2010, 6:52pm:
By Mark Murphy (BBC Suffolk Breakfast Show presenter)

It's hoped one of the greatest Suffolk mysteries of all time is about to be solved once and for all, with new evidence to be revealed on BBC Radio Suffolk. In December 1980 something strange happened in the forest close to the giant twin US airbases of Bentwaters and Woodbridge.

<snip>

Rendlesham revealed - UFO investigator Brenda Butler
By Richard Haugh - BBC Suffolk  (Published: 15th December 2010)

UFO investigator Brenda Butler says we will never know the full  
details of what happened in Rendlesham Forest 30 years ago.

In December 1980 there were reports of unidentified flying objects over the forest near Woodbridge, Suffolk. Orford Ness Lighthouse, a crashed satellite and a hoax are amongst the explanations still being debated:

"There was something in the forest.....I think it came from another dimension."

BBC Suffolk is marking the 30th anniversary of the sightings, culminating in a live from Bentwaters Cold War Museum on Friday, 17 December, 7-9pm. Mark Murphy is presenting the show. We've seen different beings in the forest. Ms Butler, from Leiston, has been at the forefront of discussions about what happened in Rendlesham and spoke to Mark at an anniversary event in November 2010. Key to the discussions are recordings made by US Colonel Halt, the deputy commanding officer of RAF Woodbridge at the time.  

"They chased the lights and saw a craft.....We've seen craft down here, we've seen ETs (extra terrestrials) down here, so yes they definitely saw something.....In Colonel Halt's own words, if it ever came out what happened governments would topple.....They will never, ever, be allowed to tell us what really, really happened."

A Ministry of Defence memo reads:

"No evidence was found of any threat to the defence of the United Kingdom.
"In the absence of any hard evidence, the MoD remains open minded."

Extra terrestrial sightings

Ms Butler said she has visited the forest at least once a week for the last 30 years and has made regular contact with extra terrestrials.  

"We've seen different beings in the forest.....We've seen the black cat, we've seen the little brown monks which float around, we've seen disks, we've seen the craft in the sky, we've seen shadow man, we've seen ghosts.....We see all kinds of stuff in the forest."

BBC Suffolk (News).

« Last Edit: Dec 19th, 2010, 9:23pm by DrDil »  
DrDil
YaBB Administrator

Fighting Against
Truth Decay!!

Rendlesham UFO mystery still leaves questions
Reply #7 - Dec 21st, 2010, 9:29pm

Rendlesham Forest UFO mystery still leaves questions.

(Experts offer best UFO theories)
BBC Suffolk - Andrew Woodger (18th December 2010)

Mark Murphy and newspaper editor Terry Hunt with a model of a capsule.

Thirty years after claims that UFOs had been spotted in Rendlesham Forest, experts and enthusiasts still can't agree on what happened. Mysterious craft and lights around the airbases of Woodbridge and Bentwaters in Suffolk were reported around 26/27 December 1980. BBC Suffolk's Mark Murphy presented a special 30th anniversary radio show from the forest in December 2010. Mr Murphy promoted his favourite theory, but questions remained.  

Theories

Aliens from outer space, beings from another dimension, testing of secret military projects, a helicopter carrying something, light from Orford Ness lighthouse, pranks by airmen - just some of the theories of what happened when the bases were being used by the US Air Force during the Cold War. The first reports relate to sightings of strange phenomena on 26 December. The second reports relate to lights on 27 December.  

Nick Pope used to run the British government's UFO Project and he undertook a review of the incident in 1994:

"The military is an inherently secretive organisation and if anything happens such as these theories about secret classified aircraft or drones, there certainly would have been scope to cover something up and that would have been the default position."

RAF Bentwaters when it was a United States Air Force base.

The Halt tape

After the reports of second sightings, deputy base commander Lieutenant Colonel Charles Halt said he went out into the forest in the early hours of 28 December with other airmen to investigate a possible crash landing site. He said he recorded his thoughts on tape as he walked around and recordings were made public in 1984. On it the men describe seeing strange lights and you can read a full transcript at the website.  

Pope said:  

"You can hear the fear and tension in their voices. It's a group of highly trained military personnel and if a helicopter was flying over they'd have heard it.....But, I could have the highest security clearance on the base, but if I didn't 'need to know' about something, I wouldn't be told about it."

Vince Thurkettle, who worked in the forest in 1980:

"I do believe that tape is genuine. They do mention every light they see and they are staring straight into the beam of Orford Ness lighthouse.....The interval of the light sightings is exactly the same as the pulse of the lighthouse.....They were looking at the lighthouse - no doubt about it. It's whether they were looking at anything else that's the question."

Another theory is that people saw a Soviet rocket which broke up and created burning debris which was visible over Sussex, Kent, Essex and Suffolk. Colonel Halt was invited onto the radio programme, but didn't appear. John Burroughs and Jim Penniston, two US security men who were working at the base and claim to have seen a craft on the first night, are giving a talk alongside Nick Pope and others at on Tuesday, 28 December, 2010.  

Apollo test capsule at Patrick air force base in Florida, USA.

Weapons storage

There were also reports of mystery craft shining lights at the weapons storage facility at RAF Bentwaters. Nuclear weapons are believed to have been in the facility, although the US government never confirms nor denies where nuclear weapons were or are based. Captain Robert Salas was at Malmstrom air force base in Montana in 1967. He said there was an incident when their 10 nuclear missiles were affected by a "glowing red object" in the sky.  

Salas, who discussed the incidents with Colonel Halt at a conference in 2010 said:

"Within seconds of that my missiles were disabled.....It seems to me that these objects are pointing out that we have nuclear weapons and they're trying to warn us against nuclear war."

Brenda Butler from Leiston, who has a book about UFOs coming out, first heard about the mystery in the weeks following the 1980 incident said:  

"Colonel Halt came over to see me about three or four weeks ago and he said the truth will never be released, so it must have been something really, really serious.....UFOs have been around this forest for hundreds of years and nobody's ever tried to cover it up before.....I think they come through a portal from another dimension very close to ours."

Chopper theory

Mark Murphy's favourite theory is that a dummy Apollo capsule was being carried through the forest by a helicopter. Some claim that the 67th Aerospace Rescue and Recovery Squadron based at RAF Woodbridge had a specific job of picking up spy satellites.  

Graham Haynes, manager of the Bentwaters Cold War Museum (BCWM), said:  

"Apollo is the most plausible explanation. It's about the same size as a lot of descriptions of the UFO.....They'd usually go out into the Deben or just off the coast at Bawdsey, drop the module into the sea and practise recovering astronauts from the module."

However, there remains the grey area of whether, and why, a helicopter might be carrying the module around on Christmas day, but to some it is the most plausible theory. The US government has not commented on whether a helicopter flight took place. Some think airmen sent it up as a joke to add some 'evidence' of a craft to the sightings of strange lights.  

Errol Frost, from BCWM, said:  

"The 67th, being hoaxers and technical jokers, thought they could make a UFO case.....Being Christmas, everyone's merry, and that's where it started."

Mr Haynes said:  

"The first row of landing lights at Woodbridge were damaged that day.....It's possible the capsule hit those lights, it started to sway under the helicopter and the pilot, thinking he was in trouble, decided to jettison the capsule."

The capsule would then have been recovered from the forest a day later. This theory is used to support the discovery of three marks on the ground in the forest which some claim tally with the tripod feet on the capsule. Others claim the marks on the ground were consistent with the sort of marks made by rabbits. Yet another theory was broadcast by BBC Inside Out. In their report USAF security policeman claimed he had been driving around in a police car with his lights flashing.  

Pope said:

"There is a culture of practical jokes in the military, but I think we'll still be debating this 40 years on."

BBC Suffolk.

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

Aug 23rd, 2014, 8:28am

UFO-Blog.com Forum » Powered by YaBB 2.1!
YaBB © 2000-2005. All Rights Reserved.